Saturday, May 5, 2012

Moving Forward

The Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show was so amazing. I had such a blast talking to everyone and seeing all of the lovely works. In fact, I had such a good time that I decided I wanted my own booth this year!


When the thought entered my brain I thought "What are you, a crazy person??" (Answer: Very Likely...) Yes, I did have a lot of fun helping at the UARTS Alumni booth in November. But assisting a 21-person group booth and manning my own are two very, very different things.

First and foremost, I'd have to get juried into the show. After that, there's quite a bit of booth fees
(all proceeds help the Museum, of course!). 

Then I would need to design and build a booth. 
And most importantly, I'd have to make alllll the work to fill it!

 That's a lot of money and even more work! I must have been crazy!
But great things never happen when you do what is comfortable.




So, I submitted my work to be juried. This involved making some new works, since I'd sold quite a bit at the Craft Show last year. Then all I needed were some gorgeous photographs.

(Photography by Ken Yanoviak)


Unfortunately, I didn't make it into the show this year. However, just the process of applying was really exciting and pushed me out of my comfort zone. It gave me a chance to assess where I want my work to go and what I want to do with it.

Now, on to bigger and better things! 







No comments: